Yesterday I went to the local bio cooperative next to my flat because I wanted to buy some matcha powder. Considering the high price for only 50g of powder, I decided to take mate tea instead and give it a try (around 3-4€ for 100g !). And I was not disappointed !
I did not know what mate was exactly, so I did my homework. In fact it is a traditional South American drink, rich in caffein. It is especially drunk in Argentina, where it is the second most drunk beverage after water, hence its nickname “national infusion” ! It is composed of dried leaves of yerba mate that are chopped and ground. Also called “the drink of the gods” by many indigenous South Americans and later “the green gold of the Indios” by European settlers, matte contains several vitamins and minarals such as vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and E but also phosphorus, iron and calcium ! It is more nutritious than green tea. That is why it has also been described as having the “strength of coffee, the health benefits of tea, and the euphoria of chocolate“.
Now onto practice. I decided to drink it as a latte rather than just a regular tea. It is pretty simple to do :
- Pour 1-2 tablespoons of mate powder into a tea infuser
- Put the infuser in a mug, and fill it 3/4 with water
- For the remaining 1/4, I added oat milk and coconut milk for sweetness, but you can add any other milk that you’d like
- Either heat it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or on the stove if you prefer
- It’s ready ! You can add some cinnamon, nutmeg, or honey on top if you want !
It is perfect for breakfast, but also for the much needed kick at 4pm !