What would be a lazy Sunday without making a comforting recipe for lunch as the weather realized it made a mistake and that it was time to bring the rain back in Paris ? That’s the kind of day when you need a hot, delicious, yet simple recipe to make in order to eat it in front of your favorite TV show, all cozied up into a fluffy blanket. How does that sound to you ?
As I had a friend over, and some cooked rice leftovers from the day before, I decided to make a curry. My instructions make for about 4 portions I’d say. For that you’ll need :
- 500g of rice (I used thai rice, but you can use basmati or jasmine rice too, and even arborio rice if you want a more sticky risotto-like texture)
- half of a lemon’s juice
- an onion
- a broccoli
- two medium eggplants
- 150g of either green beans (what I used here) or shredded carrots would go really nicely too
- 150ml of soy cream (I use the Bjorg one)
- either a can of pre-made curry sauce, or curry powder
- Seasonings : pepper, cayenne, cumin, colombo
Optional / variations :
- you can substitute the soy cream for coconut cream or milk for a sweeter version with more fat
- I find that some veggies go very nicely with the curry, so feel free to add chickpeas or shredded raw cabbage for instance
- you can also top your meal with some peanuts or sesame seeds for some crunch
- Boil some water then cook the rice for around 10-12 minutes on medium heat
- Wash then cut the brocoli into little florets, the eggplants into small cubes and the onion & green beans
- Add veggies to a heated pan on low medium heat with 100ml of water to avoid burning the veggies for around 15 minutes (check to see if the water has dissolved, in that case, add more water)
- Season them : add the lemon juice, pepper, around two tablespoons of cumin, colombo and curry, and finally cayenne to your taste depending on how strong you want your curry to be
- Once the veggies are cooked, bring the pan to very low heat and add the soy cream or the coconut milk depending on which one you’re using.
- If you’re using an additional curry sauce for a stronger taste, add it with the cream and mix it in your veggies
- Now you just have to serve and enjoy !